Thursday, October 28, 2010

FSOSS 2010 - Plug Computing Workshop (October 28, 2010)

Since I started in my program, I never missed a single FSOSS event. I can't find any reason not to join; It's cheap, I learn things that for sure won't be available anywhere else, and lastly..FREEBIES!! Of all the FSOSS events, workshops have always been what I like the most. Today I showed up for Chris Tyler's Plug Computing Workshop.

The workshop covered everything from setting up the GuruPlug to creating a personalized image server. I'm convinced on how powerful ARM PCs are, so I'm considering of getting one and probably experiment on it.

As always, workshops include Q&A part. I never had a chance to ask any question but I learned from Chris some important things to know about the GuruPlug and similar ARM based plug computers
  • GuruPlugs have problems with Gigabit Ethernet (slows down for some odd reason)
  • Overheat problems (the reason why it's got a fan in the middle)
  • GuruPlugs consume electricity comparable to a radio clock
Useful Links:
PandaBoard
BeagleBoard
SheevaPlug

0 comments:

Post a Comment